Bun Festival 2007 – rainy start but hot main day

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi All,

We plan to see the Bun Festival on 21 May 2010. Grateful if you may advise:

a) Activity schedule on 21 May 2010 (we have seen old schedule of past years were Lion dance at around 11AM, Fly-Color 1400 to 1600 (4PM), Bun Climb at 23:59)

b) There will be ferry to Central AFTER the end of mid-night bun climb, is that right?

c) What is the expected end time for the mid-night bun climb?

Many thanks for your help on the matter

Anonymous

Hi All,

We plan to see the Bun Festival on 21 May 2010. Grateful if you may advise:

a) Activity schedule on 21 May 2010 (we have seen old schedule of past years were Lion dance at around 11AM, Fly-Color 1400 to 1600 (4PM), Bun Climb at 23:59)

b) There will be ferry to Central AFTER the end of mid-night bun climb, is that right?

c) What is the expected end time for the mid-night bun climb?

Many thanks for your help on the matter

Martin Williams
    Keymaster

Hi:

Well, “schedule” should be much the same as previous years.

But really, there’s far more going on than the old schedule suggests. In morning, will be plenty of activity in front of Pak Tei Temple, including Taoist priests doing weird stuff, incense lit, maybe Cantonese opera.
    Parade usually from around 2pm (seems this is “fly-color”?) Parade route is PACKED, so may have to wait in advance at what seems a decent vantage, with plenty to drink if it’s hot.

Even earlier, Taoist priests will tour village, to various places where ghosts apparently drawn to small offerings. They move fast, though!

Bun Climb’s a bit crap as far as islanders concerned; tho govt likes to make a fuss about it.

Before this, around 11.30pm, should be grand finale of the exorcism – likely on waterfront, near the temple. From dusk onwards, should be people adding food, tea etc to small area in front of a huge god that will be moved to waterfront from festival site, ready to take ghosts back to the underworld.

I believe there will be ferries after the Bun Climb thing.

Martin

Martin Williams
    Keymaster

Hi:

Well, “schedule” should be much the same as previous years.

But really, there’s far more going on than the old schedule suggests. In morning, will be plenty of activity in front of Pak Tei Temple, including Taoist priests doing weird stuff, incense lit, maybe Cantonese opera.
    Parade usually from around 2pm (seems this is “fly-color”?) Parade route is PACKED, so may have to wait in advance at what seems a decent vantage, with plenty to drink if it’s hot.

Even earlier, Taoist priests will tour village, to various places where ghosts apparently drawn to small offerings. They move fast, though!

Bun Climb’s a bit crap as far as islanders concerned; tho govt likes to make a fuss about it.

Before this, around 11.30pm, should be grand finale of the exorcism – likely on waterfront, near the temple. From dusk onwards, should be people adding food, tea etc to small area in front of a huge god that will be moved to waterfront from festival site, ready to take ghosts back to the underworld.

I believe there will be ferries after the Bun Climb thing.

Martin

Anonymous

Hi,

I plan to take my 3 year old child to Cheung Chau on May 22. It seems like most of the festivity will take place the day before. Are there other organized events on May 22? If not, what are some of the must do things in Cheung Chau after the Bun Festival? Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Anonymous

Hi,

I plan to take my 3 year old child to Cheung Chau on May 22. It seems like most of the festivity will take place the day before. Are there other organized events on May 22? If not, what are some of the must do things in Cheung Chau after the Bun Festival? Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Martin Williams
    Keymaster

Sorry to be late seeing this. There should have been a minor parade at 2pm, but not much else happening.

Plenty elsewhere on Cheung Chau, as I hope you could find by looking around this website: beaches, walking streets in the village, coastal paths, some chilled-out restaurants alongside the harbour…

Here’s a video I shot during main day of this year’s Bun Festival:

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.